4th Birthday Photo Session

4th Birthday Photo Session

Friday, October 14, 2011

Turning Big Dreams Into Reality

Today, Andi and I attended the PNBA (Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association) regional trade show, an annual event.  In the past, I've had to work the show. But these past few years, I wasn't really available to help out.  It's an opportunity for me as an office desk jockey, to see massive amounts of bookies (people who publish & sell books).  It's interesting, and there's usually a lot of colorful hair & outfits.  So, today, we arrived and got to visit not only with one of my bosses, and my coworker, but a former sales rep was luckily stationed at a booth just next to ours.  So, she got to meet Andi in the flesh!  Andi was her usual charming self, and had her manners on.  After chatting for awhile, Andi and I walked the floor.  In years past, I never really looked at other people's junk.  That never really interested me before.  Today, however, I wanted to look.  See, I've been working in the book biz for almost 17 years.  17 friggen years!  And, children's books never interested me prior to having Andi -- I can't imagine why?!  But now that we try to read to Andi, a lot of the books I have bought or received, are pretty dang bad.  You know it's bad when I'm struggling to finish reading to Andi a five page board book containing maybe a total of 30 words.  Yeah, there are a lot of crappy books out there for Andi.  And, so, since I was in the environment, I wanted to see what all was out there.  So, I walked the floor, pushing a big 4-wheel drive stroller, and trying not to run over people.  It was pretty cool.  From what I saw, & in talking with my former coworker, who also is a Mom, I got grand ideas for my 2nd and 3rd books I want to write.  I am finding a fuel inside that only Andi Bean enabled me to see.  It's pretty cool.  Now, if I can only find the time and be diligent enough to make it all happen!  Oprah may have ended her show and book club, but there are people still out buying books, or downloading them.  Therefore, I'm anxious to get started on tackling my visions, before they escape me.

Yesterday, I met with one of my many nursing student friends.  (Oddly, I didn't meet her due to Andi.)  She is using Andi has her subject for a paper. She said she knows of a few nursing students that would probably love to help me watch Andi. I can't necessarily afford it, but if I can get them to take a background check at the county, the developmental disability services office, will help with expenses for respite care, if and when there's money in the budget.  It doesn't sound like that happens all that often, but, it's worth a shot.  They recently got their budget, and it's first come, first served - so that money is long gone by now.  However, if I can get someone in the system, next fiscal cycle, maybe I can get help paying for it.  Or maybe I should just write my book, and live high on the hog off royalty checks when that becomes a big ol' bestseller!!!  *insert snorting laugh here*  Honestly, the book biz is harsh, and there's a massive amount of product out there for consumption. However, I know my subject matters are not out there and dang it, I have a lot to say!  Plus, I'm funny, damn-it!

So, I have much to do, and now just need to find the time to make it happen.  ...and some more energy would be nice, and maybe ten pounds lighter, and if I could have ridiculous amounts of money, yeah, yeah, yeah... all big dreams.  Just have to take those big dreams and turn them into a reality, for Andi.

1 comment:

  1. As a fan of YOU and of Andi, and of your blog, I can say that I would definitely read a book written by you! Even if it was a board book! :)

    ReplyDelete